Monday 12 April 2010

Balkans

I am spending these next few weeks travelling round Bulgaria and neighbouring countries, and learning more about the archaeology and history of the region. This is in large part possible due to the generosity of the American Research Centre in Sofia (ARCS), - in effect the Sofia equivalent of the American School at Athens, and the American Academy at Rome, - which kindly offered me a base and some funding towards the Bulgarian part of the trip.
For my studies, I am particularly looking forward to trips to the 'colonies' on the Black Sea, to Plovdiv, and, across the border in FYROM, to Heracleia Lyncestis and Stobi, - but that is not all there is to see... nor are the delights all visual: what better way to start a trip than with a visit to the Opera? Before I arrived in Sofia (map), my base for these few weeks, I noticed they had a production of Manon Lescaut, which proved a very fine way to spend the evening. I was running a bit late, so I had to go straight there from the aeroport, and it took quite some time to persuade the taxi driver that I did want to go to the Opera House, not to a Hotel Opera, - which we both agreed was non-existent, - but that is another matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment